For your convenience, our most common customer questions are answered right here.

Not finding what you want? Reach out directly through our Contact Us page.

Q: When purchasing automobile insurance what should I consider?
A:  There are several things you should consider when purchasing automobile insurance that your independent agent will help you with. Here are a few:

  • Purchase the amount of liability coverage which makes sense for you.
  • Select the optional coverages you want.
  • Decide which company to purchase insurance from.
  • Don’t base your decision solely on price. Other factors like service and claim response are extremely important in selecting the right insurance.

Q:  Does my insurance policy cover a friend if I loan him/her my car?
A:  When you loan your car to a friend or an associate, he or she will be covered under your automobile insurance policy.

Q:  What is collision physical damage coverage?
A:  Collision is the loss you incur when your automobile collides with another vehicle or object like a telephone pole.

Q:  What is comprehensive physical damage coverage?
A:  Comprehensive provides coverage for direct physical damage losses you could incur to your car from something like a hailstorm.

Q:  How can I lower my automobile insurance rates?
A:  There are several things you can do to lower the cost of your automobile insurance.
One way is to look for competitive pricing. An independent agent works with many companies and can provide you comparative rates and insure that your are getting the same coverage.Another way to lower the cost is to change your deductible. By raising your deductible you may lower the cost of your automobile insurance almost 10% You must be able to pay the deductible amount in case of a claim. You can also look for discounts that you may be entitled to. Some examples of discounts that may be available are: multiple cars under the same policy, carrying a homeowners policy with the same insurance company, different groups or associations.

Q: How do I determine the Primary Operator?
A:This is typically determined by the number of days driven.  Examples: you take the vehicle to work or school 5 days a week, or you drive the vehicle more often than any other operator.

Q: Can I use my work address for Garaging?
A: Garaging is the town where the vehicle is parked at night more times than any other town.  If any place other than the Insured Address on the policy, you must notify the company.  Examples: a child away at school or parked at a second residence. COMPLETE PHYSICAL ADDRESS NEEDED IF GARAGED ANYWHERE BUT ADDRESS LISTED ON POLICY.

Q: What is considered Business Use?
A: Typically, if you drive to the same building for work each day, you don’t need this.  However, if you have clients in your vehicle, are in sales, a traveling nurse, etc., you should contact us so the company can determine if you need to add business use.  This is usually a nominal fee.

Q: What is considered Custom/Electronic Equipment?
A: Anything that is not a factory for your vehicle can be considered custom equipment.  Items include, but are not limited to: plows, tool boxes, ladder racks, custom wrap (signage), handicapped equipment, custom rims or stereo equipment installed somewhere other than where it would be factory installed.

Q: What is GAP?
A: In case of a loss, Loan/Lease GAP coverage helps to fill the “gap” between what you owe on the vehicle and the loss settlement.  This is often offered by dealers for hundreds of dollars.  You may be able to add to your auto policy for around $50/year.

Q: What is Mechanical Parts Replacement Cost coverage?
A: It pays for replacement cost of mechanical parts.  The age and mileage of the vehicle can determine coverage availability.  Not available with all companies.

Q: What is OEM?
A: OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer parts.  It is common to repair vehicles with aftermarket parts.  This does not mean they are low quality parts, just not original from the manufacturer.  You have the option to purchase OEM coverage if you want repairs made with OEM parts.  The age and mileage of the vehicle can determine coverage availability.

Q: What is Vehicle Replacement Cost coverage?
A: In the event of a total loss, some companies offer to settle on a replacement cost basis instead of the actual cash value.  Mileage and age of the vehicle are a determining factor.  Not available with all companies.

Q: How would we qualify for the Good Student discount?
A: If a driver has a “B” average or better, you may qualify for a discount on your insurance.  To apply for the discount we need a copy of the most recent report card.

Q: What if my child is away at school?
A: Some companies offer a discount while kids are away at school full time.  To apply for this discount we need the name of the school along with the town and state of the school.

Q: What if I drive a company vehicle?
A: This could be considered a “regular use vehicle”. If you have a company vehicle, or any other vehicle that you drive on a regular basis not listed on this policy, you need to contact us to see if you need to add coverage.